1 medium (approx.450g) raw white/red sweet potato (not the standard orange variety), peeled and grated (using the larger holes of the grater)
2 large free range eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract concentrate (the real kind)
½ cup of raw honey
generous ½ cup of virgin olive oil
½ cup raw cacao powder
(reduce that amount if you prefer a milder chocolate flavour)
1 heaped tbsp. of gluten free baking powder
½ tbsp. of baking soda
2 tbsps. coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 185 °c, making sure the oven is hot before you put in the brownies. Grease & line a square tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Combine grated sweet potato, eggs, vanilla, honey and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and stir together until well incorporated. Then add baking powder and baking soda and stir. Add cacao powder, mix and finally add coconut flour. Avoid adding too much coconut flour as it will absorb too much moisture which will result in drier brownies.
- After stirring everything together, pour the mixture into your lined baking tin. (the thickness of the layer came to 1 inch tall). That’s about what you’re after for the best results. Too thin and the brownies might overcook and too tall will result in undercooked middle.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. Remove the tin and cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing the brownie cake from the tin. Leave the brownie cake to cool down before cutting into about 16 squares.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and a little natural yoghurt.
Enjoy ☺ Shaz