|Hot Yoga brings bucket loads of health benefits, but so does the bucket loads of sweat that is produced in your class! That’s right, we don’t just have you sweating for the fun of it (well, maybe a little bit), there are plenty of benefits that come with simply sweating!
Sweat is produced by glands in the deeper layer of the skin, the dermis. Sweat glands are all over the body, but are most numerous on the forehead, the armpits, the palms and the soles of the feet. Sweat is mainly water, but it also contains some salts. Its main function is to control body temperature. As the water in the sweat evaporates, the surface of the skin cools.
Everyone wants to get into great shape, but the road to a strong body isn’t always easy. Fortunately, the benefits are many – particularly when it comes to sweating.
Two of the best ways to sweat include high intensity interval training (HIIT) and Hot Yoga. Even though they’re both completely different, they both work to optimise the body’s ability to burn fat.
HIIT includes very short bursts of intense activity followed by rest, which is a great belly fat burner.
A Bonfire Hot Yoga session relaxes the body, turning on the parasympathetic nervous system. This relaxation settles the body down and reduces cortisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone that promotes belly fat if not kept in check. Take time to build a hot yoga class or 2 into your schedule each week, and reap the benefits in sweat.
10 ways sweat benefits you
1) Sweating cools your body. It’s a built in ventilation system.
2) It improves your skin’s elasticity and tone. You’ll look younger!
3) It improves blood flow. Your circulation gets a boost.
4) It has a great detoxifying effect. Sweat helps to push out “junk” from your lymph system, liver, blood, etc.
5) It improves digestion and helps eliminate constipation. What goes in should come out within 24 hours.
6) Sweating rids the body of pesticides, herbicides, and heavy metals we breath in. Yes, it’s detoxing (point 4), but worth mentioning on its own.
7) Sweating boosts your endorphins. You’ll be happier.
8) It’s a natural antibiotic! That’s right, sweat can actually kill bacteria that can cause infection through antimicrobial peptides.
9) Sweat naturally elevates your “bad ass” level. When you finish a yoga class or run all sweaty and hot, you look like you’ve earned your stripes.
10) It helps you relax, keep calm and carry on.